Monday 3 October 2011

Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model Cycle 7


Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model has come to an end after 13 weeks but who came up on top and did they deserve it? This cycle included not only girls from the UK but also girls from Ireland - perhaps there isn't a Next Top Model show in Ireland but it didn't really matter since the only Irish contestant was the fourth contestant to be eliminated. There wasn't a strong standing for the Irish. There does seem to be a strong standing for foreign immigrants in the show however that I find intriguing. 

I usually love the Next Top Model series, both the American and the British, but this cycle was a little lackluster for me. I think the main reason being was that I had seen the perfect cycle - cycle 5 - which nothing else can compare to. I have this theory about reality television that at least applies to me if no one else, but once I seen a season of  reality program where everything is perfect it's hard for me to continue watching (So You Think You Can Dance is my prime example after Benji won I didn't want to watch it anymore). I think because these shows are about finding the best at whatever the competition is for, i.e. modeling, dancing or singing that once you find one that is amazing what's the point of continuing to try and find another as you've already found the best. Of course this hasn't necessarily stopped me from watching but it's taken the enjoyment out of it a bit. 

I love the NTM series for the photo shoots and I cringe through the drama which is why I like watching BINTM a little bit more than ANTM because of the lack of drama. Although maybe lack is too strong of word as there are still moments of drama but no where near what it is in ANTM which lessens the cringe factor considerably. Of course without the drama and because largely everyone seems to be so nice to each other there isn't so much of a call for taking sides as an audience member. I don't feel like I'm all that invested in the contestants which is a hindrance because it lessens the chance of me returning to the show next week instead of waiting for it to be over and just using a Google search to find out the winner.


I had some problems with this series mainly disagreements with the judges, the most notable was when they eliminated Jessica after she had won all the challenges of the day. It showed that the challenges don't mean anything and that they're just a way to fill time between the photo shoots and the eliminations. It made me not want to continue watching because of that. It made it feel like the whole show was fake which to a large extent it is but it crossed a line by dismissing the content of the show by eliminating the winner of the challenges.

The final saw my favorite contestant, Jade going up against Juste who had been pretty consistent throughout the competition. I was really hoping that Jade would win but I knew that Juste had a better portfolio than Jade and she had been more consistent in her performances. The final runway show was nice to see, especially at the end when they had both Juste and Jade walk together. There were no mistakes by either of them and Juste had the advantage of being taller but at the same time Jade showed such energy that she popped next to Juste even though she was considerably shorter. I had come to the conclusion that Jade had won the runway challenge and should win the competition but did the judges agree with me? That's always where I get nervous and I'm not even a contestant but I think it steams from me wanting my judgement to be supported and why I try not to get too invested in the shows so if my favorite doesn't win it's not that big of disappointment. The judges though saw the same thing that I did and Jade was crowned the winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment