Thursday 3 January 2013

The Fat Quiz of the Year (00's, 90's, 80's and 2012)


It's that time of year again where British comedians gather to make jokes about the happenings of the past year. As I waited for The Big  Fat Quiz of 2012 to appear for my viewing pleasure I checked out The Big Fat Quiz of the 00's, 90's and 80's which had been broadcast back in September but which I had unfortunately not been aware of at the time.

These decade shows were a good way to past the time. I missed having the team names in both the 90s and 80s. I know the team names are only introduced at the start of the show but when you have Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding coming up with Hot Shame and the Indoor Kites it's worth the giggle. Like always, they were a good team.


I enjoyed the guest in the 90s show which included Alan Davies, Dara O'Briain and Jack Whitehall. Whitehall was a fun addition because we're close to the same age so I connected with his excitement over certain things like Bewitched. O'Briain's miming and accents made for enjoyable moments. It was funny but not quite memorable. The 80s show was not something I was looking forward to because I cannot stand Micky Flanagan. I don't think he is funny. In fact, I find his material cringe worthy. However, I found him the slightest bit humorous in this show. He had his moments. 


The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2012, was, I have to say, a bit saucier than usual, not that I didn't enjoy it any less.


The show has even garnered attacks from The Daily Mail, although I don't think that's really hard to do.


It seems like people are specially upset with Jack Whitehall because his jokes were so out of character and I kind of felt like Whitehall was putting on this air of lewdness especially compared with his performance in the Big Fat Quiz of the 90s. His was completely embarrassed by his answer to the Obama question.  Whitehall and James Corden were quite the pair. Getting the pizza delivered and drinking a bottle of wine each was very frat boy, but seeing Jimmy Carr a bit confused at what was happening was quite the achievement given the fact that Noel Fielding wasn't on the show.

That was what was missing for me, the fact that Noel Fielding wasn't there. Richard Ayoade tried his best but unfortunately this year was partnered with a know-it in Gabby Logan. As a fan of the show I'm used to Ayoade giving absurd answers which he did but it wasn't as enjoyable with the dead weight of Logan. I almost feel like they should have switched Logan with Howard. Although Howard and Ross where a good team and gelled well together.

Really the highlight of the show was Charles Dance reading an excerpt from 50 Shades of Grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment