Wednesday 7 December 2011

America's Next Top Model - All*Stars

 

The end of another cycle of America's Next Top Model and of course it was steeped in drama. This entire cycle has been a bit of a drag for me personally. Top Model has slowly but steadily gotten away from the photo shoots (what I actually really enjoyed in the show more than anything) to make the show all about marketing and branding. I think the original idea was good but its gone off course without turning back. 

Three of my favorites returned for this all star cycle - Kayla, Laura and Allison, along with some of my least favorites - Alexandria, Bianca and Angelea so it promised to be an interesting cycle with of course lots of drama and unnecessary yelling. Plus I felt the cycle dragged because of all the focus on the branding aspect instead of the photos, but really isn't wasn't much different than previous cycles. 

Kayla was the first of my favorites to go and I was sad to see her leave but it was hard to because as much as I liked her she wasn't doing as well as she did in her original cycle so I moved on to my next two hopefuls Laura and Allison who made it to the final four. Of course even after this phenomenal photo (my personal favorite of the entire cycle)


Laura was voted off the next week. What was really upsetting was the fact that they were upset that Laura was so lovable, cute and bubbly in person but she was super sexy behind the camera and that seemed to be a problem for the judges but yet they kept giving her sexy things to do. I mean come on, whip cream!

Tyra has always been one of the problems of the show which sounds strange since she's the one who invented it but she adds a lot of the drama to the show and is way over the top so she's not always likeable. When all the models wrote, sang and starred in their own music videos Tyra had to ruin it by putting herself in there and making them put in made up words. It's a step too far even for me and I've come to realize I have a pretty high tolerance for Tyra.



Tyra is good at getting herself out there and making the models do her work for her. Two cycles ago she did a music video where she sang and this cycle putting her own brand out there was no different by promoting her new book Modelville with a motion editorial. Granted, some of the aspects where interesting I miss the plain photo shoots. And Tyra's bit in it was cringe worthy. There is no appeal for me to read her book, not that I had any inclination to do it before hand but now I really don't want to read it. 

The somewhat shocking aspect of this cycle was the finale that I'm sure people will be talking about for a while and something Tyra won't hear the end of. Allison, Lisa and Angelea were all walking in the fashion show and after the runway was done we were expecting the judges deliberation with all three girls but instead we got Tyra saying that Angelea was disqualified and that they were doing the finale judging in LA without Angelea. (Speculations as to why Angelea was disqualified immediately jumped to mind - and the message boards seem to be in agreement that Angelea leaked the final three and declared herself the winner on her facebook page - CW has not commented on the reason why just that she was disqualified so they had to reshoot the finale) Because of the reshooting of the finale it was very strange and you could tell something was of between Lisa and Allison - there wasn't the energy of just finishing a runway show, the nerves and excitement that is always present. Plus the judges deliberation seemed forced. There was no comparison of their pictures which they always do. The judging for the previous week between Laura and Allison which took over an hour and a half was more exciting this the finale. 



I'm not happy that Lisa won, I hated her in her cycle even though she started to grow on my in this cycle I still would have much rather had Allison won but at least it wasn't Angelea. Lisa is good at sticking to her brand and I think she was best of all the models at doing that. That still doesn't mean I have to like it and honestly I think this is the end of the road for Top Model at least for me as a viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment