Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Bubble


The Bubble was a short lived show but I absolutely loved each of the six episodes. Three celebrities are isolated from the outside world for a week with no access to television, phones or internet and if this is beginning to sound a bit like Big Brother you'll be happy to now that this portion of the show is hardly seen and in fact is made fun of by the host David Mitchell in the fifth episode when fans of the show asked for more. After the celebrities' imposed isolation they are presented with three news stories two of which have been faked and they must choose which story actually aired on television or appeared in a newspaper. The ridiculousness of the stories not only adds to the fun but points out, in a clever way,  the current state of the news. Although the show was aired on BBC the BBC boycotted the show, a fact which is discussed in the first episode. The BBC's decision to disallow their journalists to present fake news stories as it would undermine the integrity of BBC News is laughable as, Mitchell and guests point out, they have done similar things in the past. I can't help but think of Jon Snow's reports on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year although granted that's for Channel 4 and not the BBC.

The last episode for me was one of the best because it made me like Robert Webb. I was never a huge fan, always preferring Mitchell alone but Webb is more tolerable on his own when he's not trying to be outwardly funny. Of course this isn't what he's trying to achieve but I can't help the fact that I don't find him funny. However, I could watch the following clip again and again for Webb's reaction. He looks so hurt.  


What I really like about the show and why it's such a shame that it didn't continue is that I enjoyed watching it even when I didn't know any of the guests which occurred in episode 5 which I initially skipped. It turned out to be just as good if not better than the other episodes on which I knew all the contestants.

No comments:

Post a Comment