Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Decoy Bride




I had about given up hope that David Tennant could carry the lead of a movie, the two previous films I have seen him in, The Last September (in which my hatred for Keeley Hawes first began) and Young Bright Things left him either dead or without the girl. I contented myself with his television work and his bit sinister part in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire but finally the day has come where I have found a great film where he gets the girl!


Waiting to the see the film I was a bit worried that it would disappoint and yes like many romantic comedies it was predictable and we all know how it ends but there was a simple charm to the film which filled my heart with joy. The film is only 85 minuets long, not a lot of time for a detailed story but because there aren't many characters involved it works and isn't really bogged down by other side stories but there's enough there to make a story. I think I liked the fact that it was so simple of a story because it allowed it to just tell the story instead of getting sidetracked. I did think that the end was a bit rushed but at the same time I don't think I would want them to have taken more time with it. It did what it needed to do without unnecessary frills. It had the pace of a British drama but kept the mood, for the most part, upbeat and in the romantic comedy mindset. 

I loved the cast. Kelly Macdonald as Katie in particular was great and I would love to see more of her. Sally Philips who wrote the story could have had more to do but made the most of her scenes and was a good match for Michael Urie who really stole the scenes he was in.


I also loved Dylan Moran, who I wasn't expecting, although he does tend to pop up in strange roles. However, Maureen Beattie as Iseabail the mother of Katie was my favorite of the film. When Lara takes her to the cliff with the choice of either throwing the money over or herself she has to think about it. That was such a great funny but dry moment. I remember her eyes, so very expressive. Her death was bittersweet but I felt brought the story home.

No comments:

Post a Comment