Sunday 28 July 2013

Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2




The Twilight Saga has finally come to an end and I'm not ashamed to admit that I've enjoyed every one. I'm still on the fence on whether or not the last film needed to be made in two parts. On the one hand it was nice because things were then spread out and the filmmakers could take their time with the story but on the other hand the part 2 wasn't able to carry itself as well as part 1. 

Breaking Dawn part 2. Bella has been transformed into a vampire, her child is growing like crazy, Jacob has imprinted on Bella's daughter and now the evil vampires from Italy are coming after The Cullens. Preparation for the final battle has begun. 

The film still had its comedic moments which have been there since the beginning, thankfully the screen play was written by the same person for all five films. I particularly liked the part where Jacob takes off his clothes and becomes a wolf in front of Charlie. Charlie has remained one of those great characters throughout the series that keeps the audience rooted in reality. And his "put your clothes back on" line is brilliant. Of course I don't think anything can top Bella's "You've nicknamed my daughter after the Lock Ness Monster!" More sexual innuendos almost all exclusively from Emmet whose only role in the film seem to be to make sex jokes and to show Bella's new strength as a newborn. 

I had two problems with the final film. First it didn't seem to have enough substance to last for 2 hours. There wasn't a lot of action that happened before the battle. Most of the film was waiting for witnesses to show up and explain to them the situation. It was nice to see a 'global' presence as far as the vampires went but didn't make compelling viewing. 


Lee Pace though was amazing! His new disheveled look grew on me the more I saw him and I loved his attitude. Kind of Han Solo-esque. I knew he was going to be in Twilight and I was really excited when I saw part 1 but when he didn't show up then I was disappointed so I'm glad I finally got to see him. I loved the relationship between him and Kate. "If we live through this, I'll follow you anywhere woman." There's a story to be had there. Getting ready for the battle had some good moments which picked up the pace. Bella finding out she's a shield and learning how to use showed good interaction between Edward and Emmet. Overall though the film was just waiting for the battle to happen which brings me to my second problem of the film.

Now it's been a while since I've read the books so I'm not sure what happened in the books but having the final battle pay out showing the deaths of Carlise and Jasper but then have it only be Alice's vision was kind of a cheat. I mean I'm glad it was a vision because no one died in the book but as an audience you felt cheated. The major action sequence of the film didn't even happen in the reality of the Twilight world. The vision made you aware of the film as a film. You were disconnect from the narrative because your mind is telling you this isn't how it's suppose to be (this isn't Harry Potter) and so you spend your time trying to figure out how it's happening. Is this Zafrina creating a visual for everyone? How is this happening which takes away from the joy of the film and in a way breaks the fourth wall. 

I know they talked about changing the end so I'll have to read the books again to see but they did my favorite scene where Bella is able to show Edward her thoughts so I was happy. I also liked how they ended the film by using the book pages to land on the final page and highlight the word forever. Again it broke the narrative and called attention to itself but it was nice touch although I can see how it would be annoying. It may have been better had Bella just said the final words in a voiceover ending the film how it started, but I can live with it. The one thing that they did change was the hair color of some of the Cullens which disrupted the continuity of the films.

I particularly liked the end credits where it gave credit to everyone who was in the films since the very beginning. I especially like the acknowledgement of Rachelle Lefevre who played Victoria in the first two films before being replaced by Bryce Dallas Howard in Eclipse. 

All in all Breaking Dawn part 2 felt like an ending. 


No comments:

Post a Comment