Saturday 4 February 2012

DC Cupcakes


I don't even know where to begin my long list of complaints about this TLC show.TLC has been pretty good up till this point with Say Yes to the Dress and Cake Boss but DC Cupcakes doesn't live up to the standard and I've only continued watching the show to yell at my screen and write this review. I had hoped that maybe in the second series it would get better but that hope was dashed. My main problem is that Katherine and Sophia, sisters who have left the 'corporate world' (and what the hell does that mean?) to open a family bakery, should not be baking. Not that you see them doing much baking anyways, they really like to delegate tasks and then just be in charge of the frosting since they claim no one else can do it. For people whose dream it was to open their own bakery they have no clue on how much work goes into it. I realize that they must be doing fairly well because they have their show and several locations of Georgetown Cupcakes but I'm not convinced that their success will last. They run their bakery in the way that you shouldn't run a commercial bakery and I have some experience in this so I know what I'm talking about.

First off you do not measure ingredients with cups and tablespoons you weight ingredients so the product turns out the same every time. The girls seem to know nothing about baking percentages which would help them immensely. Their signature swirl should not be something they're proud of it looks like crap, and I do mean literally. The fact that they are so insistent on it being done the their way is way over the top. Really I think they do the frosting that way to cover that fact that most of their cupcakes are sunken in the middle. Not to mention sanitation problems i.e. no hair nets or when in one episode they dropped everything on the floor they just carried on!

But the ridiculousness of the show doesn't stop there. Oh no, it can't just be a bakery that specializes in cupcakes but needs to make giant projects like Cake Boss does but out of cupcakes. This to me is such a rip off. These two women are no were near qualified for the work they undertake and never understand how much work needs to go into each project before they start leaving them way over their heads always. To this end they are constantly relying on other people to finish their projects or get them started. Something that really irritated me was the constant claim of 'I'm a baker not a...' a sentenced when ended with the current job  they are sourcing out to someone else because they really aren't bakers either. And this is with them one doing one project a show whereas Cake Boss will do two or three projects per show. Plus the bases of Buddy's cakes you can eat whereas chicken wire and foam cannot be consumed and really I'm not sure I want my food on top of foam stuff. I don't care if the food comes in its own wrapper.

Overall the women are not professional with their pink aprons and matching rain boots! I mean come on! Wear a chef's jacket and non-slip shoes! Maybe if I didn't bake and couldn't point out all the things they did wrong I would enjoy the show more but really its just too frustrating for a real baker to watch or recommend. The cold hard fact is that these women have nothing to recommend them but their looks.



No comments:

Post a Comment