Sunday 5 February 2012

Miami Ink & LA Ink


If you've never thought of getting a tattoo before watching either Miami Ink or LA Ink may change your mind. At the beginning I really liked Miami Ink. It was something different and about an art form I know nothing about which helped make it interesting and increase the level of my focus. The artwork is beautiful and the great thing about is that even if the pieces they do would be something that I would never get permanently on my body I can still appreciate the beauty of the art and design.

In order to ward off the repetitive nature of the show of giving people tattoos the show focuses more on the stories of the individual clients and the personalities of each of the tattoo artists. The stories are always the plus. It's interesting to hear the reason behind the tattoos people get. What has happened in their life to get to this point that they want to mark it on their bodies. The ones that are the hardest are the memorial tattoos. Although I do find it rather odd though especially when the person they are immortalizing didn't like tattoos when they were living. But people deal with death in many different ways. The one story that really stuck in my head as much for the story as Ami's reaction to is when a young woman came in to get a tattoo for her mom who was murdered by her father who then committed suicide. The story was shocking and not something Ami was expecting when he asked her the question of the tattoos origin. What can you really say to that?

Even without these stories the show would do fine with the tattoo artist. This however, is where the show lost my viewership. I love Darren Bass, Chris Garver and Kat Von D (it's telling that I only watched Miami Ink until Kat left the show). Yoji I don't really take seriously but he's good for a laugh. Although at times I like Ami's attitude both him and Chris Nunez I have problems with. My problem is god forbid a feminist one. I hate the way they treat women or rather what goes unsaid. Because the show is set in Miami there are a lot of fit women in bikinis and the guys are constantly falling over themselves. The problem is they make it obvious that they only want to work on these beautiful women and that anyone else is not worth their time. And it has gotten worse as the series progressed.


With the departure of Kat D not even Garver could keep my especially with Kat's own show LA Ink. It was amazing to me the breath of fresh air Kat's show brought to the tired format. I would attribute the differences to gender - a mostly all male cast versus a mostly all female cast. It really is amazing the differences in the atmosphere of the two shows. I do get tired of all the 'celebrities' in LA Ink although given it's location it's understandable. Also Kat is not the best business woman and I do at times cringe at her bad organization skills.

All in all I would rather watch LA Ink over Miami Ink but truth be told after five series of tattoos I'm worn out and I'm sure it doesn't help that I binge watch it which gets me tired of it sooner rather than later. Although I couldn't imagine going back to watch either Miami Ink or LA Ink or even the last in the series NY Ink every week. In the beginning I think not knowing anything about tattoos held my interest but it also caused me to lose interest overtime unlike baking shows where I could get ideas from.

No comments:

Post a Comment