Tuesday 5 June 2012

Glee Season 3 - Final Thoughts

This season of Glee for me has had its ups and downs.

I don't think it was fair that Rachel got in while Kurt didn't. If anyone deserve to get into the school than it was Kurt for taking a chance but instead Rachel who pleaded to be given chance after chance got in and for performances that weren't very good. It would have been better had Whoopi  had watched her performance of Cry which I would argue is Rachel's best performance to date.


Before the break the show had dealt with some big issues coming out, hate crimes, teen suicide and texting while driving. The latter was a stupid cliffhanger that I've written about before but I feel I must bring it up as it got resolved once the show came back from its break. Quinn's storyline was just boring and unthoughtful given Artie's condition that the show has touched upon in previous seasons. I felt the last few episodes, seeing the success of dealing with big issues in previous episodes tried to do too much in too little time. It took away from any of the good they were doing.

Compared to last year there was much more music which I appreciated but there was also something missing from this season and far too many 80s songs. Do the writers not listen to music from any other era? Maybe they should take a page from Rachel or Kurt's book and some showtunes. I did really enjoy the One Direction song during the prom. The modern songs are always nice compared to the 80s music which I'm just tired of hearing. 

I think the show's ending was what upset me the most. The last episode was strange because it felt as if the season had already ended. They had one nationals but they decided to continue the show into the finale episode revolving around graduation. It was a very reminiscent episode which made it really sad especially since at the time I was under the impression that Rachel, Kurt and Finn were all leaving the show but it was since been revealed that they are in fact not off the show. Although I found the wedding of Rachel and Finn ridiculous so was Finn deciding to apply to the Actor's Studio and then after not getting in to decide to join the army. His character really had no motivation and it showed the writers didn't either. With all the talk of who was staying and who was going at the beginning and throughout the third season of Glee I enjoyed the new blood of people from The Glee Project. Although I have yet to watch that programme I loved the characters each of the contestants played and had no idea that they had begun on the reality show. Although I did have a problem with Alex Newell's Wade Adams/Unique as I thought they didn't give it enough time to progress and thoroughly deal with the issues at hand. 

The highlight of the episode came at the beginning, which doesn't bode well for a finale, when Kurt's dad performed Single Ladies for Kurt.


It captured the lost innocence the show had at the beginning and brought the joy back. As did the scene in Props, where everyone swaps bodies. My favorite swap was Puck and Finn for Kurt and Blaine. It made me want to rewatch the show from the beginning a feeling which quickly faded as the rest of the episode unfolded. Beside for this one shining moment the finale was disappointing. I'm interested to see what will happen next season and how they bring in the alumni but without much of Kurt I'm afraid the show is going to be dull.


No comments:

Post a Comment