Saturday 2 June 2012

Once Upon a Time


I confess that I didn't give ABC's Once Upon a Time enough of a chance at the beginning of the season. I didn't know how it would continue as a full series from that first episode and I preferred Grimm as the fairy tale inspired television show, due in large part to it taking place in Portland.Thankfully, my aunt finally convinced me to watch Once and I'm glad she did. I would go as far as to say this was the best new show on television for the 2011-2012 season.

Once has so many things going for it. The way the story is told keeps your intrigued. I loved the way they inter-cut flashbacks of the fairy tale world with the real world. They could have kept it that simple going between the memories of the fairy tale land and the real world but they went even further by using flashbacks that were further back in the timeline which then met up with the timeline we as an audience were already aware of. I loved seeing that connection. The stories themselves are a fun little turn on 'known' facts. The twists on each classic fairy tale keeps the story fresh and less of a repeat of various other incantations. One of the best variations was The Mad Hatter, Jefferson. 

My favorite episode was 'Skin Deep" where it is revealed that Rumpelstiltskin is the beast in the the Beauty and the Beast story. I loved the twists on the story, especially the chipped teacup. What makes this episode in particular so amazing and the show in general is Robert Carlyle. The cast in general is great but Carlyle stands out for me. He shows such a range in acting and he does it all so well. His voice as Rumpelstiltskin is perfect and adds so much to the character. Even as Mr. Gold he accomplishes an element of mystery.


Although I love seeing how the relationship between Charming and Snow White develops I find myself wanting to know more about Rumpelstiltskin's story. He's the best character there's been on tv for a long time. Very complex but believable at the same time. Carlyle's performances are so powerful and I love his puffy-sleeved shirts.


Overall the cast makes the show a joy to watch and each episode gives another person a chance to shine. Another favorite episode of mine was Dreamy when we learn about how Grumpy becomes Grumpy which I thought was really clever. Of course the cast is just one part of the show. The special effects may be limited due to the television format but they're not bad and they in no way take away from the show but add to it. The strength of the show though is in the story. Starting at the very end of the second to last episode when Henry eats the apple turnover and moving into the final episode the show did a good job in moving the story forward without dragging it out too long. There were some problems with drag in the storyline of Catherine's faked-murder. I'm not sure that was the best way to bring things about but I rolled with it. What I didn't think was necessary was the death of the Sheriff/The Huntsman. It was good to see him come back for a bit at the end but I felt there was more they could have done with his character. Maybe the story can be considered the strength of the show in conjuncture with the characters who are well thought out and complex.

I kinda wondered throughout the show how this season would end and move onto the next. How long can they drag the story out but I think they were smart in how they handled it in allowing everyone to remember. If things stay the on the same path I think the second season will be just as good if not better.

No comments:

Post a Comment