Monday 23 May 2011

Charmed Season 1





 I just recently finished the first season of Charmed having never watched it when it originally aired but since I had finally seen all of Buffy and Angel I thought I would give a try - plus I was in a magic mood. The premise is alright, three sisters, three witches helping to save the innocents. But the show is very dated - fashion, music and California as the backdrop, much like re-watching Buffy and cringing as she says things like 'wiggins.' But back to Charmed. Episode 1 'Something Wicca This way Comes' did a nice job of setting up the show and each of their powers. It was nice that Piper was a chef, a woman in power - although she was quickly kicked out of the kitchen. And although they knew they needed to protect the innocents I feel like they need a bigger threat (Again I return to Buffy and the Master of season 1 - it just worked so well).

I was kinda tired of Prue and Andy but mainly because I couldn't tell if Prue actually liked him or not. She seemed to aloof to really be invested in their relationship and as a consequence I didn't get invested either. I do admit though that I did cry at the finale. I also didn't like the whole - I can't handle your magic bit, that we got twice thanks to the truth spell. It was little too Louis Lane/Superman for me which I just can't stand. Leo and Piper I liked but the imposed rules a. didn't work and b. were stupid. I'm a romantic at heart though so my view may be tainted.

Some highlights for it's first season: John Cho playing a ghost! I love it when I see actors that are big now in their first roles. 'Wicca Envy' had some humor - astral projection of Rex, freezing time and hiding the tiara was great fun. And 'That 70's Episode' maybe because I have a fascination with television series goes back the 70's (Life on Mars) but that was fun little romp.

To sum Charmed up it's fun. It's a show you don't have to really think about as you watch it. It's easy to follow and may have a few laughs but it's not necessarily memorable. Although maybe I'm wrong it did air 8 seasons...I haven't completed given up hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment