Sunday 29 May 2011

Doctor Who Series 6: The Series So Far


Ever since Russell T. Davies, David Tennant and Company left I've been a little disappointed with Doctor Who. Okay, that's not totally the truth because I absolutely loved The Eleventh Hour - it's one of my all-time favorite episodes but after that I felt like the series was going down hill. I love Matt Smith, as a friend suggested he just looks alien, but I think my problem was the writing. Now I loved other things Stephen Moffat has done such as Sherlock and Coupling but I was never a big fan of his episodes during the RTD years. And with my disappointment from last series - which also included not liking Amy very much I was hoping for a better series but I wasn't holding my breath. Could it be that my love for Doctor Who was waning? Say it isn't so!

Well Moffat this season has outdone himself. What an opening! The Doctor's dead and there's a mini doctor running around out there. All very fascinating. It was neat to see the bad guy from Leverage play the FBI agent Canton. Moving on I felt the end of the two parter was a little bit of a let down as the Doctor didn't go after the little girl in the suit. why wouldn't he? A lost child seems right up his alley. But I'll leave that for the moment.

The Curse of the Black Spot was a bit too Pirates of the Caribbean for me but it was still fun. It lacked the crisp dialogue of Moffat and that caused the episode to suffer. I like the Doctor's ravings but it seemed like everything he was saying was added in to make up for the story that lagged from the beginning with it's pirate baggage. Of course killing Rory again was predictable, but not in a good way. I'm tired of them killing Rory - he's turning into a soap opera character!

The Doctor's Wife was a great Tim Burton like episode. It was different than the previous episodes and didn't quite fit in but still somehow worked. I've read anything by Neil Gaiman but I might well do now. The Doctor and the Tardis! Sexy Tardis! It was such a great relationship. Of course I feel like the Tardis could have been played by Hellen Bonham Carter although I think Suranne Jones did an excellent job. The highlight was seeing the old console room from the RTD era - oh how I've missed it! Once again the death of Rory - at least from Amy's point of view was annoying. 

I might have just been in a great mood Saturday for The Almost People as I had returned from a wonderful day in Cardiff and the Doctor Who tour. (Which I must recommend to all: Doctor Who Tour ) But back to the episodes in question; The Rebel Flesh and The Almost People. The Rebel Flesh was very dark and Moffat like - even though he didn't write it. I was totally convinced on the premise of the episode and finished it with a slight disappointment. I did love seeing Marshall Lancaster from Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes but it didn't feel like a children's show anymore. I needed a sofa to hid behind. The Almost People is the best this series, most likely because it started to clear things up, questions left unanswered in previous episodes. Amy's pregnancy. It was the first episode this series that left me wanting more and wanting it to be next Saturday already. That is an achievement.

And the mid-series finale promises to be even better. If the prequel episode has anything to say I think we're looking at a cliffhanger of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment