Sunday 29 May 2011

Men Behaving Badly - Series 1


Men Behaving Badly is a early 90s British comedy and something I kept coming across in my reading about changing masculinity after the influence of feminism. A documentary on the BBC on Sex and the Sitcom featured it as well so after hearing so much about it I had to check it out. 

From the very beginning I was laughing out loud. I loved Dermot which makes me sad this was his only season and I'm not sure how I'll feel about his replacement, but I'll give him a chance. It was funny watching men try (unsuccessfully) woo women. The open relationship that Gary suggests backfires when he himself can't handle it let alone get himself another date.

Much like the Black Adder series, it's the predictable comedy that I find funny. Dermot spends all his money on a new suit and a sex book which he claims is a cookbook. Gary believing him gives the book to the new tenet upstairs as a present. Really it's just another situational comedy in a long line of situational comedy on television but maybe the subsequent series will show why it was so successful and talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment