Monday 6 June 2011

Eureka Season 1


My sister had begged me to watch this show and I wasn't sure what to expect because we don't always have the same taste, however I was pleasantly surprised. Eureka to begin with is an interesting concept for a show. A bunch of scientist all live in one town in the Pacific Northwest (Part of my draw may be homesickness) and so naturally they create things that could destroy the world. Colin Ferguson who plays Sheriff Jack Carter is plenty down to Earth and non-sciencey to be able to identify with. Although as my dad would say its a classic case of the "stupid white guy." But there is comedy to be had when Carter tries to act like he knows what science is and also when he makes fun of it for the benefit of the audience who are most likely as bewildered as him.I was really happy to see Joe Morton who plays Henry Deacon, I haven't seen him in anything since Speed.

The characters are as zaney as the concept of the show itself and they all work really well together. This is best seen in season one's finale when they go to the future and everyone is paired up. It was basically a fanfiction episode without the happy ending, in terms of it staying like that. The zaneyness of the characters makes it feel like it's in an entire different universe, which I suppose in a way it is. It slightly reminds me of Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me. The surreal effect you get from the show, the music and opening credit sequence.


Overall Eureka is a great idea that just sometimes isn't fully realized. There are flaws in the show mostly doing with dialogue but it's not a big hindrance to the show, especially when a cursorily glance is given to other shows on television now. I didn't like the change in characters from the pilot, but that often happens and Nathan does add some needed personal drama and a nice little love triangle between him Allison and Carter. I'll be interested to see how the triangle is played out but also how they handle the mystery of Beverly. I don't think they've set that up in the best way. You know from almost the beginning that she's bad but not really why or maybe more importantly isn't given as more of a shock reveal for the audience with little teasers throughout. Sometimes, less is more.They must be doing something right though having been renewed for a fifth season.

I look forward to unraveling the mystery of Beverly, the artifact and the other science experiments to threaten the world and that little town of Eureka.

No comments:

Post a Comment