Saturday 18 June 2011

Eureka Season 3


Another season of Eureka and it's is getting better although it's still not quite there yet. It's gotten better at presenting mysteries that I want to see unfolded, most notably Eva Thorne but there still isn't anything that lasts the whole season to make for a great season finale. Everything is nicely tied together. Also Eureka's creators have apparently not understood the 'redshirt' character. I know characters need to die, especially with all these science experiments going wrong but they should die or leave the show before I gain too much emotional attachment to them. The one good death of the entire series was Nathan Stark. The episode, 'I do over' made me cry, which I take as a very good sign of storytelling. I wasn't happy that Nathan and Allyson were getting back together but my interest in the relationship between Carter and Allyson was beginning to wane. More so because as Nathan and Allyson had become a couple again the show, all of a sudden lost its energy.

The show tried to regain its lost energy by introducing new characters, Lexi and Tess but since they both leave after only a few episodes it didn't really seem to make a difference. I felt cheated with these new characters, none more so than Kim reappearing again just to die again. It would seem the only reason she was created as a character was too die. Taggart did come back though right when I was wondering what had happened to him. I had missed him and his crazy ideas but I do enjoy Jo and Zane better. Fargo I think has changed for the better. He started out seeming smarter than what he became in the second season but has regained some of his smartness passing off his comedic relief to Larry.

Allyson's pregnancy was a necessity because of Salli Richardson-Whitfield's own pregnancy but I find it difficult to understand how it will be incorporated into the show. Children seem to be more of a problem than a solution to anything. Allyson's first son Kevin has been completely forgotten after removing the artifact from his mind. If the writer's can't keep him in the story how are they going to keep Allyson's new child? Even Zoe and Lucas have left for college, an entire year before they would normally leave.

Keeping the show fresh is clearly a problem. A whole episode was devoted to looking back at the rest of the episodes, someone a little tired of writing perhaps? I did enjoy the episode 'Your face or mine" that Colin Ferguson directed and there was a lot of humor which helped the show but its still not quite amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment