Saturday 11 June 2011

Eureka Season 2

I've proceeded forward with the crazy wacky and zany people of Eureka, Oregon and it has been quite the adventure.

In it's sophomore season didn't take too many risks and played it safe. This might be good as the second season usually has the curse of not following through (think Heroes) but it still was spicy like the first season. The crazy experiments and new characters kept it going but they'll have to do something more inventive for the next season.

Some of the new characters I'm totally in love with, mainly Zane, really how could you not? He's got the bad boy attitude but the genius scientist is still there. The pairing with Jo is good and makes sense. In the long run, most likely better than Jo and Taggart but time will tell. Callie as a new love interest for Carter is bland and not exciting. The show has seemed to want to move away from the love triangle of Carter-Allison-Nathan which had potential. The more I see of Nathan, especially after he's no longer head of GD, the more I like him but I think he needs to get a different girl. It's too neat, his relationship with Allison, or maybe there's just no chemistry, which is why I like Jo and Zane so much because they have chemistry.

I'm still unhappy with the Beverly storyline. It just seems haphazardly done. There's no style in it, no finesse. I wasn't too happy with Henry either although he turned out to be alright. This season lacked a forward momentum. Yes it was all about Kevin and his link to the artifact and Carter unraveling the mystery of Kim's death, or at least starting to. It lacked a great plot line. It was okay but not amazing.



The best episode was 'Noche de suenos' where people began to share dreams. Maybe this is to the fact that I've got crazy dreams that I enjoy watching dreams go crazy. I also like that Fargo's grandfather woke up, that made for a nice episode. But there are some episodes that aren't exciting because they've been done before. Like when Zoe loses her voice. There are certain elements in Science fiction that are based on universal fears that are repeated again and again. Losing your voice was seen on both Buffy and Doctor Who, it's a little redundant.

The finale was done in a two-parter with the great, 'To Be Continued" title but the last episode's resolution was blah! It wasn't enough of a cliff hanger to make me immediately want to go to the next season. If I was watching this as it aired I might forget about it when it came back. I hope the next season is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment