Sunday 3 July 2011

Comic's Choice

  

Airing from January 16th-20th 2011 leading up to the British Comedy Awards Bill Bailey interviewed 5 British comedians; Alan Davies, Lee Mack, Jo Brand, Jessica Hynes and Sean Lock to get their nominees and winners in different comedy categories. Comedy is such a hard genre to narrow down into favorites because comedy, unlike other genres is more subjective to an individuals type of humor. I found I disagreed with Lee Mack the most and of all the five comedians he's my least favorite. Not surprisingly, of course I agreed the most with Alan Davies who's my favorite of the five. Comedy is also very culturally specific, there are universal gags but some comedy doesn't translate well. There happens to be a lot of cross dressing in British comedy that for the most part I just don't get but it's something you see repeated again and again in a British context. I did enjoy Sean Lock dressed as the Queen throwing his handbag at Bill Bailey and knocking him out. It's also interesting to see how these comedians are influenced by what they watched growing up and how their type of comedy is a reflection of what they enjoyed watching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment