Saturday 9 July 2011

The Mighty Boosh


 The Mighty Boosh was on the BBC for three series but it started out as a radio show and Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt have done live shows as well. The comedy isn't necessarily laugh out loud funny but there's something about it that keeps you interested. The first series takes place in a zoo and Fielding and Barratt open the show by addressing the audience in front of a curtain like some of the older comedy teams. The second series moves to their flat and the third to their shop. My favorite episode was the second series finale, The Nightmare of Milky Joe. I normally would have given up with a series if it took me that long to get into it but although it's crazy, wacky and odd there's something about it that stands out beyond the zaney costumes. I think the series got better and better with each episode which is rare for television, although with the history of starting in radio that might have helped. The use of words and verbal comedy makes it articulate and different from most slap stick comedy.There's nothing you can really compare it to either, it's very unique.


I first encountered Fielding on the IT Crowd and then on Buzzcocks and other panel shows but on The Mighty Boosh I was surprised in his ability to change his already unique look to appear different. There were several characters he played that it took me a while to realize it was him behind all the makeup and costumes. I wasn't a fan of Fossil so I was glad as he gradually became less and less important in series two and three. The music of the show is great, already I've got the theme song stuck in my head, but I especially loved the crimping songs. The one about soup is my favorite but I also love the mod wolves as well. Fielding makes it look cool. The costumes deserve an essay all on their own. They were fantastic and outrageous. The mirror ball suit, I couldn't image wearing that but somehow Fielding pulls it off. His obsession with boots and staying in fashion always made for a laugh. 


I kept thinking it wouldn't be as fun to play Barratt's role the straight man but at the same time it wouldn't work with just Fielding, you need the double act for it to work. The Mighty Boosh is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's strange and out there and you have to keep watching. It grows on you slowly but it will manage to grab a hold of you and then there's no turning back.


No comments:

Post a Comment