Friday 1 July 2011

Jonathan Creek Series 3


Another series of Jonathan Creek is complete and unfortunately it's the last with Caroline Quentin. Now I know I've been saying that Jonathan and Maddy should get together but I guess it was sort of a case of be careful what you wish for. They got together just to agree not to do it again. Kind of a let down actually. Holding out for all of series two I think was detrimental to their romantic relationship. The chemistry was there from the beginning but just wasn't followed through with. Of course I'm a bit of a romantic so the non-romance aspect of their trails made it less appealing. My problem is with the back and forth nature of Maddy. She wants Jonathan but doesn't want him at the same time while still preventing any other romantic entanglements with other women he happens to meet. Although as the fourth series is beginning to show this is a reoccurring theme for the women in Jonathan's life. When Maddy told the woman in Miracle in Crooked Lane Jonathan's secret sex fetish, which was a secret even to Jonathan, it was funny but at the same time it made me like Maddy less.

However, the stories were really good, granted a lot more silly than some of the previous stories. Case and point, The Omega Man about aliens but it was fun and lighthearted. The Jonathan Creek doubles in Miracle in Crooked Lane was pretty funny but The Omega Man was my favorite of the series. The third series just seemed to find its voice again and the mysteries were more enjoyable to watch.

The Christmas Special brought in Jonathan's new companion (Now I'm thinking of Doctor Who) Carla played by Julia Sawalha. I immediately didn't like her but it's not all Sawalha's fault, part of it is replacing Maddy and the way they dealt with her departure through a postcard. (I'm not a fan of Martha from Doctor Who because she replaced Rose) But even when I get passed that aspect of my dislike there's still her character that I don't like. Looking  Sawalha up I realized she played Lydia in the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice and she was just as annoying there, although in that instance it fit her character. You only see glimpses of Lydia in Sawalha's performance but there's just enough there to make it unenjoyable. The story though was really good and I enjoyed it, lots of twists and turns. The addition of Bill Bailey was also nice. I was really surprised, but pleasantly so that he was in it. I'm getting more used to Stuart Milligan but he's still a tad annoying and I miss Anthony Head although if he had stuck with Jonathan Creek than he wouldn't have been able to do Buffy so I can see the positive side. One more series and a few specials to go and I'll be finished with Jonathan Creek. It's all been over too quick, that's the trouble with British television.

No comments:

Post a Comment