Sunday 28 August 2011

The Duchess

 

The Duchess is a great film, very moving and unexpectedly emotional. The film came out in 2008 starring Keira Knightly and Ralph Fiennes and follows the life of the Duchess of Devonshire stuck in loveless marriage, forced to live with her husband's mistress and give up her love for her children. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started watching it but I remember the film didn't do so well. I had no prior knowledge of the events but I like both Knightly and Fiennes so I thought I would give a shot and I'm glad I did. This has to be one of Knightly's best performances that I've seen and I connected with her on an emotional level. I felt she was really in-tuned with the character and showed a believable growth throughout the film especially when it came to the children. Her performance was almost understated but that really worked well for the film. However, I was a little disappointed with Fiennes but I think it might have been the fault of his character, but I thought he was underused. He's such a great actor but he was quite forgettable. He was successful in not allowing any redeeming qualities to be found in the Duke but I found him not very present in his role. The soundtrack really added to the emotional element. It was beautifully shot and the scenery didn't hurt. It was definitely a moving film and I was bawling by the end.

A sad story done exceptionally well.

No comments:

Post a Comment