Wednesday 3 August 2011

Primeval Series 5

  

When I last wrote about Primeval, series 5 was just beginning and was wondering if it was going to be better than ever. Now that Primeval has finished I would say that it has overcome the difficulties that were holding it back in the last series but I still have reservations. Finally everything came out about Phillip and Connor was back on the side of good, not that he was ever bad but now he's just better informed. The last two episodes were fantastic. The enormity of what was happening added to the drama of the series and made me want to go back as each episode progressed. I loved the way they brought Emily back and I think she's a great match for Matt. Everything was going so well. Connor being sucked into the giant anomaly to be saved by Matt and Abbie. I was definitely on the edge of my seat as I know from experience this show is not afraid to kill of main characters. I absolutely loved the marriage proposal that Abbie said to Connor and their whole interaction. I might go a little academic now but I loved the gender reversal of their relationship and it was so fitting that Abbie asked Connor and not the other way around. Abbie is definitely the one who wears the pants in their relationship and she even carries a gun. She's a kick-ass woman and we need more of those on television. I'm still not a fan of Jess she's too damsel-in-distress for my tastes but Lester is great as ever. 

The future of the series is still not known although their may be a spin off in Canada of all places which I will be keeping an eye on. There was talks about there being a movie but I really just want the series to continue as a series. But with all the time and channel changes things aren't looking to good. It's been cancelled once before. Only time will tell I guess. 

Now I haven't forgotten my reservations and they really hit me the last few minutes of the last episode which kind of ruined a great series that had overcome most of its problems but also questions another series. I was sad to see Matt drive in the car to explode the anomaly and I cried along with Emily but then he reappears oblivious to how he survived. Why did he have to drive in the first place rather than just setting the car on automatic pilot so to speak? The answer came in those last minutes as Matt is faced with himself saying he has to go back. If only they hadn't done that it would have been perfect! 

Oh the woe I suffered! 

I understand the need for it, to give a nice lead in a mystery for another series but with the series' future as yet undecided they could have cut it off as they were all going off to fight another anomaly but they just had to have that open lead. Really that's the curse of television. If you don't know if your show is going to be cancelled do you leave a possible thread to be picked up if the show isn't cancelled or do you wrap everything up nice and neatly at the high possibility of the show being cancelled so viewers like myself aren't left hanging? The choice they're left with, as with other science fiction shows though that have been cancelled before the story could be finished, is to make the next series into a comic book.



No comments:

Post a Comment