Wednesday 5 June 2013

Bad Teacher

The comedy was definitely raunchy and at times a bit awkward, although I did watch the unrated version. Cameron Diaz had no problem fitting into her role. Justin Timberlake was a strange fit for me. It was so off the mark of his usual fare that it seemed strained. It was almost like he was on SNL during the whole film. I felt Jason Segal underplayed his role which some of that had to do with the writing. He left me wanting more which is always a good thing and he seemed the most real of all the characters.

Even if I wasn't a teacher I would have watched this film. It was crazy, funny and everything you wish you could do in class. I loved the comments she wrote on the papers because sometimes you really wish you could write those same things! Running away from children who are crying and crazy co-workers who belong in an elementary school (I teach middle/high school) with their enthusiasm. I personally loved the dodge ball quiz. Of course these are all the reasons why I like it coming from the teacher perspective.

Looking at the film on a film studies level there's something interesting going on with the characters. Elizabeth is not a character that you should like. She's shallow, manipulative and self-centered. The worse main protagonist ever but because she says what's on her mind you can't help but like her in some weird way. And its not like she starts out shallow and ends up redeemed. Yes she ends up with the gym teacher, which the audience sees as the clear choice, but she doesn't change her attitude towards life or her job. She may get her 'happy ending' but as audience member you feel bad about yourself for liking what happened. In any other film she would have been killed or put in jail or some other horrible end. Instead she is given a relationship with a proper match and retains her job.After finishing the film I didn't feel all that great about myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment