Friday 7 June 2013

Ta Ra Rum Pum

Ta Ra Rum Pum was an interesting Bollywood film because it didn't have that Bollywood feel to it. It felt strangely out of place. It was still enjoyable but perhaps a little too serious especially with the children. Saif Ali Khan and Rani Mukerji make an interesting couple. It's definitely not my favorite paring but given the run of movies they've had together that I've recently watched I'm getting use to them.

I loved the beginning of the film which fit the Bollywood format with the two main people falling in love through a serious of hilarious and sometimes awkward events but after RV has his accident and the family is forced out of their beautiful house at the interval the film takes a turn for the serious. Here the song and dance numbers, something I look forward to in a Bollywood film largely disappear and try as they might the cheery atmosphere is gone. There are touching moments with the kids once they realize the true extent of their problems and they start saving their lunch money. The struggle between Shona and RV I think was just a little too real for me and not something I was expecting, not that Saif Ali Khan and Rani Mukerji don't do their characters justice because they do it just wasn't something I was expecting. Both actors showed their struggles really well. One of the best scenes is when RV is asked to get a woman to the airport in an impossible amount of time given NY traffic. At first he's all for it knowing he needs the money for his children's school fees but once he gets up to speed he has flashbacks to the accident and loses the money. This is the same thing that happens to him when he first got back into racing. The most gut wrenching scene of the film is when his kids asked him how is race went. His look of desperation and Shona's immediate change of the subject was so natural. It really sold the moment.

I wasn't overly impressed with this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment