Friday 7 June 2013

Warm Bodies


Ever since I saw Nicholas Hoult in skins I have been intrigued so I was really happy when he started making it in Hollywood and when I saw the trailer for Warm Bodies I knew I had to see it. Unfortunately I missed its theater run but was able to pick it up on DVD.

It was perhaps a bit slow but I liked it. Hoult is just so amazing I can't think of a word to properly describe him. His grunts and gait made his character seem believable. The decision to have voice over as to what R was thinking was smart because it really held the film together. The funny moments like 'don't be creepy, don't be creepy' or 'say something human...nailed it' where some of the best moments because it was down played a bit. This somewhat disembodied voice allowed the comedy to shine through without taking away from what you were seeing on screen.

On a deeper level the film has something to say about what it means to be human and what we are really doing with our lives - the scene that stands out is when R is talking about wanting to connect and how good it must have been before everyone was dead, onscreen we see everyone on cell phones and ipods in a flashback. Something that could be looked into in a lengthier review.

The concept, taken a little from Romeo and Juliet albeit without the tragic ending, something I was beginning to worry about towards the end, but I still think it's original. A cure for zombies, why not? In recent years we've seen cures for vampires and werewolves so why not zombies. The plot was good, it made sense. I could have gotten more from Teresa Palmer because the whole time she reminded me of Kristen Stewart. Hoult was the one who really pulled this film through to the end, with a little bit of help from his friends (Rob Corddry. For Nicholas Hoult, I'm hoping this is just the first of many great films to come. He's one that I'll be watching out for.


No comments:

Post a Comment