Tuesday 11 June 2013

Hart of Dixie


Hart of Dixie was a show I was aware of because I love the CW network so I had seen commercials for it and I loved Rachel Bilson in The O.C. but I hadn't gotten around to watching it. Until I started talking to one of my co-workers about guilty pleasures and this show was hers. Luckily the first season was on netflix and I blew through it. I loved the concept, loved the characters and loved the setting.

The CW seems to like shows set in the south (Hellcats was in Memphis, Vampire Diaries is in Virginia, The Originals is in New Orleans and Hart of Dixie is in Alabama). There's more you can do with the history of the town and the rituals of the south, not to say that they don't have them elsewhere but I don't see founder's day in Portland. Really its about community which is understandable given the network - formerly WB and UPN.

The cast was great with a majority of unknowns, another common occurrence on the CW, but it was nice to see Tim Matheson in another role (I know him from The West Wing). As an audience you really get to know and love these characters and I think that's what makes the show so enjoyable. The show is really an ensemble and all the major characters work well together.

The major premise behind the show is the love triangle of first Zoe - George - Lemon which quickly dissolves into George - Zoe - Wade and I have to say I much prefer Wade over George. George is just so boring! I was really glad to see Zoe and Wade make a go of it. Wade's one of those characters who puts on an air of "I-don't-care" but he really does and although he makes mistakes he can be really sensitive. The last episode of the first season had so much drama with Zoe ending up with Wade and George breaking things off with Lemon to be with Zoe.

In the second season Zoe and Wade progressed their relationship but of course no one can be happy on television and Wade does something stupid. The show lost me a bit at the end because they repeated what had happened in the first season. Wade and Zoe break up, she goes after George who is in a relationship, who then breaks up with his girlfriend and goes to Zoe only to find her in bed with Wade. It was like they couldn't figure out what they wanted to do so just recycled an old storyline. It made it a but soap opera-y.

Having said that I am looking forward to the third season. I really think Zoe and Wade having something going even though he cheated on her and denied it. I loved his romantic gesture at the end of the last episode. Thankfully they have brought in someone new, Jonah the doctor to tempt Zoe while she's in New York. Now I say thankfully only because they needed new blood because the George-Zoe-Wade triangle has gotten old and frankly I'm not a huge fan of George.

The other stand out character for me is Annabeth who I adore (although Bert Reynolds is pretty good). She's so cute and peppy but still a little sassy. She gets a little crazy when she's with Lemon but I was happy things worked out between her and the mayor even though it would have been nice to see the mayor with Lemon. It'll be interesting next season to see what happens with Lemon who is now a co-owner of the Rammer Jammer with Wade. Will there be romantic feelings there? I really hope not but it is a possibility.

I think the CW hit on a good show with this one that really makes you enjoy your 45 minutes with them. It feels like family.

No comments:

Post a Comment